What Are Bingo Chat Games?
Article published on July 21, 2017 03:38pm
by BingoPort Reviewer
If you’re a bingo newbie and are still finding your feet in the community, you might still be unfamiliar with bingo chat games. Wonder no more! If you haven’t been lucky enough to experience the wonderful world of chat games, you’re in for a treat. We’ll run you through everything you need to know in this handy BingoPort guide to chat games.
What are bingo chat games?
If you’re a newcomer to bingo, it might be tempting to think that the only game you’ll play on a bingo site is, well, bingo. But you’d be wrong. Between or during bingo games, additional extra games will take place in the bingo chat room. These are known as chat games, and for many people, they can be (almost) as fun as the actual bingo itself. Chat games also give you an extra chance to socialise with your fellow roomies and feel like a true member of the bingo community.
Who is involved?
- Chat moderator: as we’ve previously mentioned in our guide to how to become the best bingo chat moderator, chat games are moderated and led by a CM.
- Bingo caller: chat games are often based on traditional bingo games, which that a bingo caller is needed.
- Roomies: the lifeblood of the chat (and of chat games), the roomies are the ones who take part in bingo chat games.
How do they work?
To play a game of chat bingo, you need to keep the chat room open and keep your eye out for the CM. They will let you know what the next games bonus is and what type of chat game they’re hosting (you can see examples below). If the CM is hosting a quiz game, for example, you have to be the first roomie to post the correct answer to win the bonus. If you’re playing for a bingo pattern, you have to be the first player to get it and call FH.
Be aware that some games have specific rules. In a karaoke trivia chat game, for example, you might have to post ‘Karaoke’ before your answer just to let the CM know which game you’re playing. These types of rules help roomies and CMs avoid any confusion—you don’t want to miss out on your bonus, after all. Don’t worry—the rules will never be as complicated as wagering requirements!
Unlike most bingo games, which stick to certain timeslots, there’s no fixed schedule for chat games. On some sites, chat games are available day or night. On others, however, you might only get access to them at peak times.
Do you have to pay to play?
As with most things, the cost of chat games can depend on which bingo site you’re playing on. Most sites offer chat games free of charge. Bear in mind that these games will be very busy as a result—everyone loves to take advantage of freebies, after all! Of course, some sites do charge for chat games. The price for these games is usually rather minimal—ranging from 5p to £1—which isn’t too bad considering you have the chance to socialise and win bonuses.
What types of bingo chat games are there?
As with the many types of bingo variants, chat games can vary depending on the bingo site you’re frequenting. If you consider yourself to be slightly bingo obsessed, you’ll love these chat games. Take a look below…
Trivia Chat Games
If you’re a fan of things like pub quizzes, you’ll absolutely adore trivia chat games. They’re essentially mini-quizzes that are led by the chat moderator. Typical topics can include general knowledge, film and tv and music. As you can imagine, these games are very fast-paced—with there being so many roomies, you have to answer as soon as possible to be in with a chance of winning.
If you love 75-ball and 90-ball bingo however, the speed won’t be too much of a problem. Let’s look at a few examples below:
- TV trivia: the CM might post a character’s name and expect roomies to name the TV show they belong to.
- Movie trivia: the CM will post a quote from a film and expect you to name the film or finish the quote.
- Celebrity trivia: you might be asked to name the other half of a celebrity couple, e.g., Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth.
Themed Chat Games
As with the promotions on bingo sites, chat games can change with the time of year and other major events. For example, you might have noticed that many bingo sites offer Christmas-based promotions when December rolls round—chat games are exactly the same. The CM might ask questions based around the season, any new films or even TV airing that night.
- Seasons: if it’s near Valentine’s Day, for example, the CM might ask you to name a rom com based only on a quote.
- Film & TV: if a new film or TV series is airing, the CM might ask you to name the main star.
- Sports: whether it’s football or tennis, you’ll be asked questions relating to the players and the history.
Roomie Chat Games
If you frequent chat rooms so you can socialise or you have a favourite roomie, these chat games are perfect for you. They usually involve you having to team up with another roomie. It’s great because it pushes people to interact with each other in a fun way. Examples include:
- Up and down: if you win a prize in one of the chat games, then the players listed above and below you also win a prize.
- Alphabet: if you win a prize, then the players whose usernames start with the same letter as yours win too.
- Teams: roomies are divided up into teams; if one player wins then the whole team wins.
Number Chat Games
You might have started groaning as soon as you saw the word numbers—it does spring to mind the subject of maths after all. Don’t worry, it’s more fun than it sounds. Number chat games are much like bingo, only they play around with the numbers a little to make it bit more exciting for players.
- First ball: roomies have to guess which number will be called out first in the bingo game.
- Last ball: very similar, only you have to guess which number will be the winning one.
- Mirror, Mirror: during the game, roomies have to keep their eye out for any mirroring numbers, e.g. 23 and 32, 45 and 54.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg—as long as your chat moderator has an active imagination, there’s an unlimited supply of chat game ideas. Take a look at more below…
- Anagrams: if you’re a fan of tricky puzzles, you’ll love this game. The CM will give you a subject—e.g., football—and then give you a word with jumbled up letters. You have to solve it to win.
- Birthdays: you have to give the CM your birthday, e.g., 01/03. When the bingo caller calls both numbers you have to post ‘birthday’ to win.
- Word connection: the CM will give you two words which have a connection, e.g. Candle (Stick) Insect.
- Karaoke: the CM will post a lyric from a famous song which you have to name to win.
As you can see, there’s a huge selection of chat games available for players. The great thing about chat games is that there’s an endless amount of ideas for them. Some CMs like to make up their own crazy games and others like to stick to the classics. Either way, you’re going to have a lot of fun. Not sure if chat games are for you? Check out the section below...
Why should I play?
Bingo chat games are great—enjoyed by bingo newbies and veterans alike—which is why you should be playing on them too. The main advantage to these games is that they give you the opportunity to socialise with roomies. When you’re playing online bingo, you’re often by yourself instead of with others in a bingo hall. The chat room and chat games, however, enable you to interact directly with other players in a fun and uplifting way.
If you find yourself keeping your eyes peeled every week for our weekly promotions roundup, you’ll be pleased to hear that you can win extra bonuses in these chat games. With these bonuses you could then play even more bingo—within the constraints of your bingo budget, of course!
Want to stay updated on all things bingo-related? Check out BingoPort’s news section for topics ranging from fun facts about bingo daubers to best mobile bingo site apps to which animal-themed slot game is for you!